Monday, August 4, 2014

Accepting ADHD Medication



Accepting ADHD Medication

Medication is not my first choice to solve a problem.  It took months of thinking about medicating my child before I said yes.  I really did not know what to expect when I said yes.  I did not know how the medication would affect my son.  Good or bad.  During these months of thinking, I attempted different researches to see if I could help him without medicating him.  The psychologist said “even if you medicate your child you still need to give him the tools he needs.  He has to learn to cope with the fact that he needs to do things a bit different.”  What he needs to do different is use a memory system.  Anyone with ADHD has a difficult time completing more than one task at a time, following directions in day to day events.  A notebook and a planner is my son’s best friend.  I know you parent’s didn’t think you were out of the scope of remedies did you.  The psychologist said “as the parent I need to teach my son the skills, have more patience and do things differently for him.”  I don’t know about all parents but I like to use lists for my children.  So I decided to make a list for everything possible for my son.  I found myself repeating myself less.  Instead of just regular notes on paper I am using index cards.  I also noticed that no longer have to give him one task at a time.  So I have index cards for each chore.  It includes what the core is and what needs to be done to complete the chore.  I have index cards for morning and evening hygiene list.  It includes everything he needs to do when he wakes up and goes to bed to have good hygiene.  I put the hygiene and chore index cards together so he gets everything accomplished.  He needs to carry this idea on for the rest of his life.


As far as the medication, it works!  It is not a cure.  It does not take ADHD away.  I know, I know.  Wouldn’t that be nice?  From my experience my son can retain better, comprehend better, follows better, and is a bit calmer.  That is enough because with that he can have a normal life.  He is able to retain what he needs in school, at home and in sports.  Information for him to utilize in adulthood was my main concern.  If he is unable to successfully get through school age years, how can he get through his adulthood?  What would happen when I am not here to help him?  How will he make a living if he cannot follow directions, do a list of tasks, think without being impulsive and so on?   My son has more of the attention deficit than the hyperactivity disorder.  Some people only have the attention deficit disorder.  The medication works for either.  As the child gets older the dosage does too.  Most children start medication around age ten because that is when the disorder becomes apparent.  No one has to take the medication past college.  There is more than just Ritalin offered as a medicine.  I was worried about that because I have heard horror stories about it.  They have Adderall and Concerta as well.  Whatever you chose, keep an eye on your child as you should with any medication.  As to any medicine there are side effects and you won’t know how it affects your child until you try.  What a big risk right?  My son is fine.  At times his appetite is small or he may get a stomach ache from not eating a big enough breakfast before he takes his medicine.  Otherwise his weight is fine, his blood pressure is fine, his personality is the same and his grades are better! Medication is an option but not a cure! 
    



No comments:

Post a Comment